Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Where I Am From

I am from trailer parks and unsteady balconies,
From the park across the grass field and the mulberry tree.
I am from a village of drug dealers and late nights of testing myths.
I am from a school of small proportions,
From imaginations that run wild.
I am from numerous bikes and never ending flat tires.

I am from a green grand am and black ice air fresheners.
I am from a house of cigarette smoke and smelly clothes,
From "You're grounded" and "Check back in an hour."
I am from a lung cancer victim and a World War II veteran.
I am from barbies and super Nintendo,
From soccer to "hot lava."

I am from the lilac bush and the tiger lily snake haven.
I am from Timberlake and youth group,
From Joy Club and Awana.
I am from clutch trucks and Meatloaf CDs,
From "Gargoyle" and "Maylee."

I am from a dirt field with chalk lines,
From big bruises and leather gloves.
I am from a blue boat and Sherman lake,
From fishing and tubing.
I am from a teen mom and a high school drop out.
I am from eight hour school days and procrastination.

2 comments:

  1. Kaylee,

    I really did love your "I am From" poem. You certainly did have an interesting childhood! I love this section:

    I am from the lilac bush and the tiger lily snake haven.
    I am from Timberlake and youth group,
    From Joy Club and Awana.
    I am from clutch trucks and Meatloaf CDs,
    From "Gargoyle" and "Maylee."

    I can just see you listening to Meatloaf!!! That takes me back! "Paradise by the Dashboard Light!" Wow! That is just way cool.

    Mrs. E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaylee this is a really good poem! It reminds me of a lot of stories I have heard from you, and the reference to the black ice air freshioners kills me!

    ReplyDelete